Thursday, October 8, 2009

Americans for Prosperity Tribute to Ronald Reagan Dinner

Over 900 people attended last Friday night's Tribute to Ronald Reagan dinner during the Americans for Prosperity Defending the Dream Summit. The dinner was the first evening event after a day of grassroots training, press conference and rally at the Capitol, and descent upon the halls of Congress with our thousands of Hands off my Healthcare petitions.

And I almost forgot the Job Fair that ran concurrent with a pre-dinner reception. I made the rounds for all the organizations present, profit, non-profit, and not-for-profit. My marketing experience, eMedia skills and long, passionate love of (and participation in) politics made the job fair a major draw of the summit. Now I just need time to get my ePortfolio republished on one of my business sites. I'd love to find a local candidate to support. We truly do need to oust all the incumbents.

I'm used to traveling very light for business and I was totally disgusted that I had to take FIVE outfits for a three-day event. Casual for Thursday's reception, business casual for Friday's early events. Business formal for the job fair and dinner. Business casual for Saturday's annual meeting and training, then back to jeans (thank God!) for the seven-hour drive home. I can hit the west coast for three days with less of a wardrobe than what I took for the Defending the Dream Summit!

Back to the dinner. Once again, we managed to find a table of North Carolinians in a sea of almost one thousand diners. The chicken (what else?) was actually delicious and served hot.

And the speakers were fantastic: Congressman Mike Pence is energetic, enthusiastic, and emulates speech patterns beautifully. His description of meeting President Reagan was enhanced by his almost-perfect Reagan voice and mannerisms. (He does an endearing George W., too.)

Laura Ingraham also spoke and she was even better in person than on radio and O'Reilly. While Laura was happy to be at the Summit, she was a bit disappointed that she missed her usual Friday night guest-host for The Factor. Especially given that Chicago had been eliminated earlier in the day, in round one of voting, for hosting the Olympics.

The Dinner ended at 9:30 and we had the choice of staying for a film screening of Not Evil, Just Wrong, with a brief introduction by Producer/Director Phelim McAleer or heading out with other North Carolinians for a night tour of The Capitol, arranged by our State Director, Dallas Woodhouse. We chose the night tour.

We didn't have time to change clothes, and there was a light rain when we began the tour that turned to a steady downpour for part of the outing. Even though I've been to the District many times, I'm still in awe of the monuments and majesty of the setting. I should rephrase that: I'm in awe of the majesty of the character of the Founding Fathers, represented by the larger-than-life monuments.

The Jefferson Memorial is the most beautiful. Washington Monument the most interesting for history.

The Lincoln Memorial is the most impressive, inspiring, humbling... You might be able to tell why I was out in the rain, in my business suit, in heels, heading up the many steps of the Lincoln Memorial, after dark and on marble. I did exercise at least some common sense in that I took off my heels and carried them when I got to the top and after a warning from another visitor that the marble was extremely slick.

It was raining too hard to stop at the Jefferson Memorial, but we did circle the Capitol on the way back to our hotel. My Blackberry battery had died, so no photos there. Will add photos from my sister's phone in the next few days.

Our next stop was Lafayette Park where our guide fully expected everyone to get off the bus for at least a few minutes since the rain had stopped. The view of the White House would have been perfect.

He was surprised when the bus door opened. And no one moved. While some may attribute it to the extremely long and active day, I think I summed our mood perfectly when, after our guide's second invitation to "Get off and experience the view of the White House", I answered... "In 2012!" to a rousing response of laughter and cheers.

Really, anytime after November 6, 2012 will do. I think I'll plan on another trip to The Capitol for the next Inauguration.

No comments: